Monday, March 17, 2003

We're back from Key Largo, and my house-sitting family members didn't even get to shoot any burglars.

Wendy was very suprised by the trip, and it was gorgeous there. Though it's only 1 1/2 hours from where we live, we had not gone down to the Keys since we moved to Florida five years ago this week. Now, of course, we'd like to go back every weekend. Won't happen on my salary, though.

We visited a terrific little Baptist church there on Sunday morning. They are independent baptist, but very evangelistic and warm. R.T. Kendall (who lives on Key Largo and was formerly the pastor of Westminster Chapel in London for 25 years--he was Martin Lloyd-Jones' pastor in the last years of Jones' life) was guest-preaching on Total Forgiveness (from his book by the same name). There are a number of things on which I think I probably disagree with Dr. Kendall (particularly is view on the charasmatic gifts), but his forgiveness message is an excellent one, and he's a terrific fellow.

If you ever are looking for an evangelical church in the Keys, I'd steer you to the good folks at Key Largo Baptist Church. I can't remember the last time I visited a church that did this good a job of welcoming their guests. Actually, I do remember: it was New Life Baptist Church in Davie, of which we've been members ever since.

No comments: