Thursday, December 11, 2003

The legendary Casey Kasem is being replaced on the weekly "American Top 40" radio program by that doofus from "American Idol."

Back when I had my radio show about five years ago, Kasem came on to promote the then-upcoming Jerry Lewis Telethon, which he usually participates in. The partial, reconstructed-from-memory transcript of that interview is something like this:
CASEY: I'm very excited about it. This is the 19th Labor Day telethon I've been involved in.

ME: Would you do the "Shaggy from 'Scooby Doo' " voice for me?

CASEY: Jerry is a good friend of mine, and he's been doing unbelievable work for these kids for years now.

ME: C'mon, let's hear just a little "Shaggy."

CASEY: As you know, Muscular Dystrophy is a deadly disease that attacks thousands of people, many of them children.

ME: I would really love it if you would do your "Shaggy" voice for us.
Yes, I'm sure it was a high point for him, too.

No comments: