Tuesday, March 16, 2004

A Public Apology:

This kind of thing is (unfortunately) unusual for me, but some things need to be dealt with publicly. So....

In my zeal to oppose a theology that I think is incorrect and dangerous, I have said some mean and unkind things to Barb, who, while I disagree with her strongly on this issue, is someone who I've always liked. The other day, I saw an article she had linked to on her blog, and I left a comment there disagreeing with the author's premise. I think that she took this as an attack on her, and rather than dropping it (or explaining myself) when she objected, I instead escalated the conflict to the next level.

In the past, I have hurt her feelings on several occasions with too-strong language, and my behavior over the past few days opened up those old wounds I'd previously inflicted. While my initial motive has always been to attempt to steer her (and others) from what I believe is a grievously dangerous error, I know that my method of doing so has only caused damage.

So I'd like to publicly apologize to Barb for my unkind words, and for allowing myself to be directed by anger and frustration rather than love, and for my unchristian behavior. Barb, I don't expect you to like me or agree with me, but I do hope you'll be able to forgive me. I blew it, and I'm sorry about it. I promise I will not take this issue up with you again.

No comments: