Monday, June 07, 2004

There's not much left to say about Ronald Reagan that hasn't already been said this weekend. But that's never stopped me before.

I was 11 years old when he was elected, and I realize in retrospect that it was he, more than any single person, who formed my idea of what America is, and what it means to be an American.

In the second half of the 20th century, very few men took the stage who could be called "great." Ronald Reagan was a great man.

Last night, A&E ran a program on the Reagan legacy that was produced two or three years ago. In it, they interviewed a guy identified as Reagan's pastor. He said that not long after the Hinkley shooting in 1981, he asked Reagan if he was ready to meet God. Reagan said "Oh, no, I have many more things I want to do for the American people."

"That's not what I mean, Mr. President," said the pastor. "I mean, if that bullet had taken your life, would you have been ready to meet God?"

Reagan became contemplative and quitely said "Yes."

"How can you be sure?" the pastor asked.

"Because I have a Savior," Reagan responded.

No comments: