Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Random Notes

  • The annual fantasy baseball draft was last Saturday. Last year I picked first and finished last. This year I picked close to last, so we'll see if that improves my success any. In a 16-team league, I drafted 14th. My first five picks were Vladimir Guerrero, Lance Berkman, Roy Oswalt, Garrett Atkins, and John Smoltz. I also took a flyer on Barry Bonds staying out of prison in the 11th.
  • Something I'm seeing more of these days: the gal (it always seems to be a woman) smoking a cigarette in her car who wants the smoke to go out the window but also wants the benefit of air conditioning. To accomplish this, she cracks the window open, oh, about a micron wider than the actual width of the cigarrette itself. She then, after each puff, carefully tries to stick the burning butt out the tiny window opening and hold it there--all while driving. That's a move I always enjoy. If you ask me, all these problems started with the 19th amendment...
  • I've still never seen "American Idol." But I read the papers, and so I'm confident enough to form the opinion that this kid needs to be taken out and beaten:
  • This has already made the rounds, but if you haven't yet seen it, you must watch "The Great Global Warming Swindle" that aired on British television last month. My favorite part is when the former head of Greenpeace, Patrick Moore, describes realizing that his own environmental movement was in deep trouble when they began talking about banning chlorine worldwide. He says he told them, "You guys, this is one of the elements in the Periodic Table, you know. I mean, I'm not sure if that's in our jurisdiction to be banning a whole element."
  • A friend also pointed me to a Michael Crichton speech from a couple of years ago that's a wonderful (and necessary) read: "Aliens Cause Global Warming."
  • Again I'm late to the ball on this, but earlier in the month one of my heroes, John Piper, wrote about the death of his father a few days earlier. It's monumentally good: "Hello, My Father Just Died."


Related Tags: , , , , , ,

No comments: